Kubuntu, first impressions.

Renaud (Ron) Olgiati renaud at olgiati-in-paraguay.org
Sun Dec 3 00:32:14 GMT 2006

Just finished installing Kubuntu 6.06; first impressions:

Impression, Kubuntu has departed from Linux standards, for no visible reason:

For instance, why mount partitions on /media/ instead of /mnt/ ?

The root user has been done away with; in many cases (schools etc) you will
still need a special admin account; so what is the point of making this
different from root ?

Impression, Kubuntu is for geeks;

As installed, the serial mouse did not work, and I had to vi xorg.conf to get
it working.

As installed, the network cards were not configured; when I ran the config it
offered me eth0 and eth1, without telling me what card was on each, and I had
to try an IP adress on one, and go to a console to try to ping my firewall,
to know which was which.

As installed, because there was no Internet working yet, all the listed
repositories in /etc/apt/source-list had been commented out; so I had to vi
source.list to get that working.

How is the non-geek user, fresh from MS Windows, supposed to deal with things
like that ?

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                Don't worry about people stealing your ideas.
  If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.