Q: easy su

D. R. Evans doc.evans at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 17:48:06 UTC 2006

I get very fed up of typing my silly password all the time when I'm
doing admin type stuff.

How does one get "su" to work the way it has historically done in *NIX
(and does work in Mdv and other distros I've tinkered with over the
years)?

I have a password assigned to root, and can easily get to be the
super-user by typing "su" and the root password. But once I am root I
can't edit anything, because when I try to run emacs, here's what
happens:

-----

[H:~] su
Password:
root at homebrew:/home/n7dr# emacs
Xlib: No protocol specified

emacs: Cannot connect to X server :0.0.
Check the DISPLAY environment variable or use `-d'.
Also use the `xhost' program to verify that it is set to permit
connections from your machine.

root at homebrew:/home/n7dr#

-----