Changing the time on several dozen jpegs at once

Dariusz J. Garbowski thuforuk at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 22 21:32:24 UTC 2006

On 08/22/2006 10:15 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> A friend had let my camera sit overnight with no batteries, and when
> he finally relaced them he set the clock to AM time instead of PM
> time. How can I add 12 hours exactly to all the photos in a certain
> directory? I would prefer a solution that would not lose jpeg image
> quality, as I know that rewriting a jpeg reduces quality in most
> cases. The windows program JpegHammer does this, but I'd rather not go
> hunting for a windows computer ever time I get stuck. Even a cli
> command (or script) would be most helpful. Thanks in advance.

You can use commandline jhead for this, no change to your images other
than Exif timestamp will be done.

Another, more complex, yet much more powerful (if not the most powerful
of all in metadata manipulation software class), program is Phil
Harvey's ExifTool http://www.sno.phy.queensu.ca/~phil/exiftool/

Regards,
Dariusz