Comcast Idiocy, DNS Servers and Networking

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 01:31:09 UTC 2006

On Monday 21 August 2006 8:03 pm, Lord Sauron wrote:
> My latest problem:
>
> Comcast (my ISP - curse them forever and their anti-server AUA) does not
> like Unix.  My brother's OS X iBook has to use special DNS servers to
> get it to use a speedier Internet service (which we pay darn good money
> for - too much money!)
>
> After noticing that Linux was noticeably slower with networking tasks
> than Windows, I found that Linux is also afflicted with the same
> problem as OS X.  Normal configuration via the DHCP (Comcast's
> servers - curse them yet again!) gives the wrong DNS servers.  I do
> know what the right ones are: 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2.
>
> Right now I have to set my network to these DNS servers every time I
> boot my computer - total rubbish and annoyance.  Thank you Comcast.
>
> I would really like to know if there's a was I can still auto-configure
> via the DHCP to get a valid dynamic IP address and a valid gateway, yet
> still override the DNS servers to change to the faster ones.  If
> there's a simple solution, I'd love to hear it if anyone knows the way.
>
> Thanks for your time!

You need a Linksys router.
It will interface with Comcast, and you can set it up to do the DHCP
internally.  Besides doing the NATing, and newer Linksys have firewalling
capabilities built in.

However, I think you can override the DNS.  I'll just have to look up how
again.  I think you put a line such as the following in the interfaces file:

dns static

or

dnsdomain myhome.com
dnsserver 4.2.2.2
dnsserver 3.2.2.2 or whatever.

I can't remember, but maybe this will spark someone else's memory.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.

http://risenbooks.com Christian bookstore