Amarok mp3 support

Ylan Segal ylan.segal at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 12:47:39 UTC 2006

Brendan wrote:
> On Thursday 17 August 2006 08:42, Ylan Segal wrote:
>
>>I can't get Amarok to play mp3s. It complains that it doesn't have the
>>input plugin.
>>
>>I have the 1.4.1 installed from the kubuntu.org repository (as described
>>in the kubuntu homepage). I have also followed the instructions for
>>RestrictedFormats in the desktop guide. I have xine installed as an
>>engine with libxine-extracodecs also installed.
>>
>>What am I missing?
>

> Something you don't know about...google for it.

I did google! I usually list the steps I did before posting to the list,
but I forgot this time.

The Kubuntu FAQ calls for:
http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php#mp3s

which says to install libxine-extracodecs and that should do it: It
doesn't.

I googled further and found out that I may need to restart Amarok. I
thought I had restarted but yesterday I noticed that when you close it,
it doesn't actually close but stay in the task bar. So, it may have been
that simple. I will check tonight.

> You have to use apt-build to
> rebuild with mp3 support. Or, you can get (from somewhere out there, or I
> could email it to you) "upgraded" musicbrainz debs....

If the above fails, I might try your way, but I read that this was no
longer necessary with the 1.4.1 version.

Thanks for the help,

--
Ylan