locate file in package

Leonard Chatagnier lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 16 21:36:53 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 16 August 2006 14:11, D. R. Evans wrote:
> I didn't receive any useful responses to the e-mail
below, which I
first
> sent a few days ago (although thank you Roshan for
trying).

> I am still stuck on this. It's the first thing I've
hit in Kubuntu
that
> hasn't been obvious :-( Can anyone help?
>
> -----

Hello D. R.,
I'm new to Kubuntu also and have 2-3 posts not
answered also. It happens. However, having used Debian
a couple of years and the apt frontend "wajig", I
think I can answer your question. Wajig has a command
"whichpkg" that will spit out the package names for
the file(s) you want. Just install wajig(sudo aptitude
install wajig) then just run wajig fron a console and
it will give you an output of the commands to use. You
can print out the command list for your reference.
Look for the command whichpkg in the list for a short
description of what it does to see if that is actually
what you want. I'm no expert but wajig will get you
what you want.

HTH

Leonard Chatagnier
lenc5570 at sbcglobal.net