removing OpenOffice

Nigel Ridley nigel at rmk.co.il
Tue Aug 15 14:29:05 UTC 2006

Bry Melvin wrote:

> Nigel Ridley <nigel at rmk.co.il> wrote: I have an older laptop that works fine with Kubuntu but it can't really
> handle OpenOffice.
> How can I remove OpenOffice without removing kubuntu-desktop?
>
> If it's not possible, how do I change to a non-kubuntu KDE and what
> benefits will I lose/gain?
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel
> Kubuntu-desktop and for that matter Ubuntu-desktop and Xubuntu-desktop are META packages and are basically just a package list to ease installation.
>
> Kubuntu-Desktop is a catchall to install the "usual" You can simply remove OpenOffice and Kubuntu-desktop. Removing Kubuntu-Desktop does NOT remove KDE. You'll still need a good word processor  if KOffice is inadequate. FWIW if the machine can't handle OOo then you might be better off with Xubuntu-desktop (XFCE) on this machine, or try adding an old standby like icewm. I've found that with the lighter desktop/window manager even  p1 machines can handle OOo for most purposes. You could then set the default boot to the snappier WM for most purposes and boot into kde when its features are needed.
>
> I see no reason to change to a generic version of KDE. Removing the "desktop" package will then let you remove individual packages that aren;t needed or sluggish on the old laptop and substitute other packages, like Abiword -GTK etc.
>
> The Desktop packages are there so that the install "just works" and gives the tools that most will need without hunting for them individually. They are a starting point, FWIW you can install KDE piece by piece on Ubuntu without ever installing the Kubuntu-dektop ...all from the Ubuntu repositories.
>

> Bry Melvin

Thanks Melvin but I really like KDE and the ease of updating that
kubuntu provides - I just don't want OpenOffice.
If I try to remove openoffice.org then apt wants to remove most of the
KDE stuff, including kubuntu-desktop.
I could remove kubuntu-desktop and then remove openoffice.org; but then
a 'dist-upgrade' would simply install them again - yes?

Is there a way to have kubuntu without OpenOffice?

Blessings,

Nigel

--
PrayingForIsrael.net