rsync Q, third try.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Aug 11 04:25:13 UTC 2006

Greetings;

Is there no one here who has made rsync work on kubuntu-6.06?

I have a consistent problem:

When run on the machine that is intended to be the storage machine, as the
same user (/home/gene) that owns /home/gene, and with all the rsync conf
files in etc also owned by this user (or as root for that matter),  I get
this error when I attempt to run it from here:

[gene at coyote root]$ rsync -avz --delete
--password-file=/etc/rsync/xxxx.yyyy
gene at 192.168.71.4::shop-gene/ /home/shop-gene

Linux shop 2.6.15-magma #1 Fri Jun 9 20:51:19 EEST 2006 i686 GNU/Linux

The programs included with the Ubuntu system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Ubuntu comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by
applicable law.

rsync: could not open password file "/etc/rsync/xxxx.yyyy": Permission
denied (13)
Password:

This file has been world readable, owned by root:root, and gene:gene with a
chmod 0600 applied to it, all without effecting that error message a bit.

I even ripped out rsync on the kubuntu machine and then put it back in,
but that finished disabling it.  Before I did that, I could enter gene's
password at the above prompt, and it would go ahead and run but miss a lot
of the config type files in the user gene's home dir.  But now its all
upset and:
@ERROR: auth failed on module shop-gene
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1296)
[receiver]

rsync runs as root on all other uses here, and I even setup a root account
on that box, but no user or root can open that /etc/rsync/xxxx.yyyy file
even if I give it 0666 privs.  OTOH, when ssh logged into the machine as
this user or as root, I can do anything with that file I want.

So what do I check next?  Is there a generalized howto url I don't know
about? Or what mailing list do I take this too, knowing full well the no
root on a ubuntu system will get me told to bring it back here, to the
distro's mailing list.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene