hibernate

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Thu Aug 10 12:53:51 UTC 2006

Marco wrote:

> What do I need to make my laptop hibernate?
>
> I want to:
> - switch of the display by closing the lid
> - suspend by pressing key1
> - hibernate by pressing key2
>
> Do I need to install extra packages?

imo, kpowersave is the best way to do those.

> Where is the best place to define the key bindings?

Depends what you're using.  In the first place, ACPI is (usually) used to
trigger events based on using specific keys.  I'm not sure how you'd make
other keys generate those events.  Then there's the problem that if you
want to do anything other than the default actions, you will have to
manually edit some files - depending on the method you use - because there
are no GUIs for this.

> And BTW, where can I read what the difference "system performance"
> profiles of the "Power Control" mean?

afaik, those are all actually defined by your laptop manufacturer
--
derek