Reasons ro choose Kubuntu over Knoppix?

Lord Sauron lordsauronthegreat at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 22:53:57 UTC 2006

On 8/7/06, Max Q <maxq at maxqnzs.com> wrote:
> Raphaƫl Pinson wrote:
> > As Tez said, you don't need to use the 64 bit version. You have to
> > decide whether it's worth it for you or not. Using the 64 bit version
> > will be a bit (10% maybe) faster than using the 32 bit version.
> > However, some programs (in particular proprietary software:
> > Macromedia Flash, Sun Java, etc.) are not available for 64 bit, and
> > it'll be harder to use them (you could use a chroot for example).
> >
> > So think about whether losing Flash and Java is worth gaining 10%
> > speed (for me it is, maybe not for you ;)).
>
> Thanks to you both for clearing that up. Since the sort of stuff I'm
> going to be doing in Linux is not particularly demanding, I think I'll
> stick with 32-bit for now.

I installed the AMD64 Kubuntu without any pains (related to the 64-bit
part - I had a load of fun with Lilo and XFS though).

You can always override things to install a 32-bit app in a 64-bit
system.  All you have to do is install the ia32 libraries.

If you want to try dual-booting to two, I can help you with either
grub or lilo, whichever you choose (I'm happily now proficient in
both!  Yay!)

Dual booting them wouldn't be that hard.  You can always resize
partitions, something that I find really cool.  It's so easy, too.  It
scares me.

--
GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+