Reasons ro choose Kubuntu over Knoppix?

Max Q maxq at maxqnzs.com
Wed Aug 9 00:10:31 BST 2006

Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 08, 2006 at 09:35:18PM +0000, Max Q wrote:
> > Jonathan Riddell wrote:

> > > Freedom is important.  Proprietry drivers are both legally
> > > dubious and impossible for distributions to support properly.
> > > Nethertheless we do include nvidia and ati drivers on the CD
> > > contrary to what you say below.
> > >
> > > The latest version of amarok in Edgy also includes automatic
> > > setup and download of mp3 codecs.
> > >
> > > Jonathan
> >
> > I agree with the ethics, but the pragmatic reality is that one needs
> > one's box to "just work" as the odious aphorism goes. Three years of
> > Mandrake made editing the x86config second nature to me, so the
> > absence of built-in proprietary drivers is not a dealbreaker, just
> > a minor nuisance. My only real concern with Ubuntu's stand is that
> > smells a little of Stallman, whom I regard as a dangerous loon.
>
> You may want to re-read what I wrote.
>
> Jonathan Riddell

No, I understood your post. I know that the proprietary drivers are
available, but my slothful nature hates having to jump through hoops,
however inconsequential (like, for example, having a "restricted"
section that needs to have permissions altered to access).

--
Non sum uni angulo natus; patria nea totus hic est mundus. - Seneca
http://maxqnzs.com/References.html