ifrename replacement

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 2 02:30:26 UTC 2006

marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> writes:
> Derek Broughton said...
>> marc wrote:
>>
>> > I just tried to install ifrename on Dapper - which allows the renaming
>> > of interfaces - but it wants to remove a host of packages, including
>> > udev, hal, lvm2, and others.
>> >
>> > ifrename works just fine on Badger, but what is the replacement, since
>> > ifrename seems impossible to install in any meaningful way.
>> >

>> The replacement IS udev.
>
> I was afraid of that. So, how does one solve the problem?

As Jordi Ferrando pointed out, edit /etc/iftab to fill in the details
you want.  The Ubuntu udev install will, out of the box, use that
information to rename your network interfaces to match.

See /etc/udev/rules.d/25-iftab.rules for the details of how this works,
which is to call the 'iftab_helper' script when a network device is
added.

Regards,
        Daniel
--
Digital Infrastructure Solutions -- making IT simple, stable and secure
Phone: 0401 155 707        email: contact at digital-infrastructure.com.au
                 http://digital-infrastructure.com.au/