eth0 already configured?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Aug 1 08:36:42 UTC 2006

Nigel Ridley said...
> marc wrote:
> > Andreas Ruppen said...
> >> I don't know exactly where the problem comes from. It seems that the
> >> interface is up but did not receive any dhcp offers. So instead of ifdown
> >> eth0 followed by ifup eth0 you can simply try dhclient eth0. This indicates
> >> to eth0 to search again for dhcp offers
> >
> > Yup, but I need the machine up without logging on :-( Works fine with
> > Badger, but not Dapper, but I can't see what's changed.
> >

> You could try changing the order of your start-up scripts - have a read
> of 'man update-rc.d'

I use sysv-rc-conf for this kind of thing. What do you suggest should
change?

Yup, I could go into debug mode and force it to work, but it should
either work out of the box or after a straightforward config change.
What the config file tells me and what the Control Centre tells me are
not what is happening. There's a genuine problem here.

Why, for instance, when I click 'enable interface' in Control Centre
does the wireless card come up, but the wired card doesn't? However,
when I use 'dhclient eth0', the wired card comes up.

Even when the network config file is identical in both Badger and
Kubuntu, the problem persists.

Why, when I ifconfig does eth0 not show, yet when I ifup etho the
message returned is 'interface eth0 already configured'.

iwconfig shows eth0 as 'no wireless extensions'

Something is just not right here. This is, pretty much, a clean install
- other than the fiddling with a dozen things to make the machine
usable.

For interest, I removed eth0's auto and added eth1 auto - the wireless
card. In this case, the situation was reverse; that is, eth1 would not
come up without a dhclient, but eth0 would come up with ifup.

I also removed both auto commands from interfaces. In this case, both
cards came up immediately during an if up.

So, the problem seems to be linked with dhcp and the use of auto in
interfaces. dhclient.conf is identical between Badger and Dapper.

Can anyone suggest a next step?

--
Best,
Marc