kubuntu-6.06 i386 install, repeated failures

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Tue Aug 1 02:02:04 UTC 2006

8 attempts to install this later, I'm about to give up.

The first time, I tried to make it use both disks in the box, but it
apparently had a better idea, but it did at least install grub.

Grub couldn't reboot however as the kernel then had a crc error, and
'system halted'

Ran memtest86-3.2 for 89 full cycles, no errors.

Someone suggested bad drive cables so I got 2 fresh ones and installed
them.  No bisquit there either.

Finally gave up, and cleared the partition table for the 2nd drive and put
everything on /dev/hda, and finally it was happy and formatted the drive
the way I wanted it.  The rest of the install went normally till the end,
at which point a requester comes up and says the grub install failed,
continue anyway?  So I click yes, and ubiquity than takes a segfault and
exits, bug report filed before I hit the power button for the night.

The hardware seems to be ok, fresh 450 watt psu, motherboard is a fresh
Mach-Speed, athlon 1400XP, half a gig of dual channel ram, and it ran
BDI-4.30 just fine until the program this machine was built to run decided
it needed python2.4.

Is this a new problem, or is it known and fixable?

This program, emc, is now being developed on ubuntu boxes, so running it
would seem to make good sense.  Unforch, no bisquit for this elderly
puppy.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: