Adding RD RAM

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Sun Apr 30 21:44:18 UTC 2006

On Mon, 1 May 2006 03:05 am, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> I have a generic 1.5mHz P4 machine with an unknown m/b and 256 RAM - I
> think RD RAM. I'd like to add more ram, so I need to be certain what
> type I have. How can I find this information? Is there a program
> similar to Everest on windows for Kubuntu?

No idea what "everest" is, sorry :(  However, there's a really neat command
line tool you can use to extra all manner of hardware voodoo called
"dmidecode" which you should run as root - when prompted for a password enter
your USER password:

sudo dmidecode

(it generates a lot of information so you may want to pipe it through a pager
like "less", eg, "sudo dmidecode |  less" - without the "")

Then look for info like:

Base Board Information
        Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
        Product Name: 0944
        Version: KBC Version 40.22
        Serial Number: Not Specified
and...

Memory Device
        Array Handle: 0x000A
        Error Information Handle: No Error
        Total Width: 64 bits
        Data Width: 64 bits
        Size: 1024 MB
        Form Factor: SODIMM
        Set: None
        Locator: DIMM #1
        Bank Locator: Not Specified
        Type: DDR2
        Type Detail: Synchronous
        Speed: 533 MHz (1.9 ns)
        Manufacturer: 7F98000000000000
        Serial Number: ABCDEF12345
        Asset Tag: Not Specified
        Part Number:

etc.

So that's half my DDR2 SODIMM PC4200 RAM[1] on this HP nc6230 lappy.  Once you
have the board and memory info, google it if it's not obvious, or post it
back here and we can see if our collective knowledge (list list is
practically a Borg hive mind - Linux rox, you will be indoctrinated
resistance is futile :P) can help you.

Have fun

James
[1] dmidecode has told me it's a SODIMM and DDR2 at 533MHz which is PC4200
--
Signs of crime: screaming or cries for help.
		-- The Brown University Security Crime Prevention Pamphlet