ipod madness

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Thu Apr 27 14:38:17 UTC 2006

There is no point to using FAT16.  Some reviews indicate that -- on small
partitions -- FAT16 may be faster because it is smaller, but were talking
<512 MB partitions (the FAT16 max).  That is the only advantage.  The size of
the fat32 table is negligible in relation to the total disc.  Slack, on the
other hand affects all files, large and small.  The effect is greater with
lots of small files than with a few large files, but it is ALWAYS an
inefficiency regardless of the size.

Some URLs
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/Library/50cd4ffc-1389-423d-9d02-1a898b2eb39f1033.mspx
http://www.dewassoc.com/support/win98/fat.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/fatFATs-c.html
http://home.no.net/tkos/info/fat.html
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/file/fileFAT.html
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/file/part.html
http://home.earthlink.net/~doniteli/index20.htm
http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/fileFAT32-c.html

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for
alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c