system:/home and Dapper

Ian Rose ian at themagictree.co.uk
Thu Apr 27 06:34:38 UTC 2006

Christoph Wiesen wrote:

>I created one bug suggesting to remove system:/home in favour of /home/user
>from dapper;
>
>kubuntu-dapper: system:/home has lots of issues
>https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/39887
>
>It's now been marked as duplicate of this bug, which focuses more on
>system:/home's inability to be used from within Konqueror and it's bad
>handling of large files (making copies in /tmp):
>
>system:// protocol
>https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/32159
>
>Honestly I don't want to even imagine the support nightmare system:/home may
>create during 3 years of use...
>
>Regards,
>
>Chris

FYI : a recent update appears to have solved this problem: Clicking on
the "Home Folder" icon on the System menu now opens the users home
directory correctly. This is much appreciated, as I had resorted to
having to manually remove all of my families individual system menus and
replacing it with a direct "Home" link. With fonts now returning to a
readable size again, Dapper is now looking very nice indeed.

cheers

Ian