adept does't recognize root password

Richard Crawford rscrawford at mossroot.com
Tue Apr 25 04:07:08 UTC 2006

On Monday 24 April 2006 20:47, P G wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.  This is interesting because I
> use the same password for both accounts: root and a
> regular user account.  Does the system check passwords
> to see if two accounts use the same password?

Seems you're used to a different way of doing things.  Kubuntu has no "root"
account per se; well, actually, it does, but it's disabled.  Instead,
everything that you would do as root is done through your own account with
sudo.  When you install Kubuntu for the first time, it assumes that the first
user account created is the account which should have sudo privileges over
the system.

So, there aren't two different accounts to check.  There's only one.

There is a way to enable the root account if you really want to, and it's
covered on the Ubuntu FAQ somewhere.  Me, I've never had a need for it.
Sometimes if I'm doing a lot of stuff with sudo, I'll use sudo -i to bring up
a root sort of environment, just for convenience, but I've never needed to
use the actual root account.

This is basic stuff covered on the Kubuntu home page.

"That which does not kill me makes me stranger."
    -Llewellyn, from Ozy & Millie