[breezy] Aptitude broke amarok (never mind, but...)

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Mon Apr 24 17:31:47 UTC 2006

ยป On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:57PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

> On Monday 24 April 2006 12:48, Francisco Borges wrote:
> > With aptitude programs installed automatically, are removed
> > once there is not more reason to keep them.
> >
> > It's a feature, not a bug
>
> Nice feature, in theory, but my recent experience indicates that the
> implementation is buggy because it was trying to remove stuff that was still
> needed.

AFAIK the implementation is not buggy, if anything, you are not being
able to use it properly. IIRC Aptitude has been stable and recommended
for Debian production systems for at least two years.

Your problem *might* have been that you are trying to migrate a apt-get
managed machine into aptitude. And it might be the case that lot's of
your packages are marked as automatically installed.

If you read one of my previous emails, you will see how you can stop
this sort of thing.

> It wanted to remove the package kde, too.  What a disaster that would
> have been if I didn't hit ctrl-c.

Aptitude takes some basic forms of patterns as arguments.

1. You can check which packages are marked as automatically installed
   with: "aptitude search \~M" (check the manual, it might be the exact
   opposite).

2. You can also use patterns to mark all installed packages as manually
   installed.

--
Francisco