[breezy] Aptitude broke amarok (never mind, but...)

Francisco Borges f.borges at rug.nl
Mon Apr 24 16:48:37 UTC 2006

ยป On Mon, Apr 24, 2006 at 12:27PM -0400, Art Alexion wrote:

> Now for the "but".  Why would aptitude do this?  I use apt-get for normal
> stuff and it has served me well.  This is the second time I tried aptitude.
> The first time (several months ago), I saw that it was going to break things
> and didn't let it.

Because aptitude handles the uninstallation of packages that were
installed just as a dependency of another package. See this email:
for the differences between aptitude and apt-get.

Say you install A, and that requires B and C.  If after trying the
program A, you decide to remove it, with apt-get B and C will remain
installed. With aptitude programs installed automatically, are removed
once there is not more reason to keep them.

It's a feature, not a bug ;-)
--
Francisco