Kate questions

Billy Pollifrone billy at silverbaseball.com
Fri Apr 21 17:13:36 UTC 2006

On 4/21/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/21/06, John L Vifian <jongleur at liripipe.com> wrote:
> > There's a script lussh which can pretty much set up the authentication
> for you
> > which you can install via the lufs-utils package or it looks like you
> can
> > just grab the script here: http://tinyurl.com/puo4f
> >
> > John Vifian
>
> Thanks, I saved the script as script.sh, did chmod +x on it, and ran
> it for three servers. Am I to understand that for now I won't be
> prompted for passwords from those three servers? I did successfully
> ssh into one of the servers, but I don't want to restart the machine
> to check if it persists after a reboot. Does it?
>
> Also, for backup purposes, if I save /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa.pub and
> /home/user/.ssh/id_rsa will I be able to put them back into those
> places and login without a password?

You won't be prompted for a password unless you protected the keys with one,
in which case it acts much the same as sudo. After some expiry period, you'd
have to give it again.

Again, if your key isn't protected itself by a password, then it will
persist across reboots/sessions. If you protected the key, the next session
will prompt for the password.

Yes. You can back up the keys for later use.