linux 2.6.16

Michel D'HOOGE michel.dhooge at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 08:02:59 BST 2006

2006/4/20, John L Fjellstad <john-ubuntu at fjellstad.org>:

> >From what I understand, linux 2.6.16 won't be part of Dapper. Anyone know
> what patches Ubuntu applies to the kernel?  Is it just the Debian
> patches?

If you compare debian and ubuntu repositories, debian is much more versatile
on linux-images! In debian, there are images for single proc and multi procs
(SMP) while it seems that ubuntu provides a single image for both (I have a
single cpu and uname -a reports SMP!)

So I guess this is not a one-for-one between debian and ubuntu. However,
AFAIK unless you have really special hardware it should be quite transparent
to install a debian image. But maybe I am wrong since ubuntu spent a lot of
time improving (successfully) the boot time.

My 0.02€
Michel