Installing XFCE

federico silva ouch.doh at gmail.com
Mon Apr 17 11:53:48 UTC 2006

On Monday 17 April 2006 08:02, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Dotan Cohen escribió:
> I would like to install XFCE on my Kubuntu 5.10. Before I get started,
> I want to know if I can run both XFCE and KDE at the same time in
> different consoles, switching between them with CTRL-ALT-F{6||7}?
> Would I have to shut down programs opened in KDE, for instance, before
> I can use them in XFCE?

From the kmenu, choose "Switch user"->"Start new Session" and
you will be presented a new login. Choose xfce.

> I tried installing by way of apt-get:
> $ sudo apt-get install xfce
> Password:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Couldn't find package xfce
> $
>
> But as you see this did not work. Is there no pre-packaged
> installation for Kubuntu? Thank you.

$  apt-cache search xfce
[...]
xfce4 - Installs Xfce4 core and scripts to set it up
[...]

So I guess xfce4 is the package you want.

$ apt-cache policy xfce4
xfce4:
  Installed: 4.2.2
  Candidate: 4.2.2
  Version table:
 *** 4.2.2 0
        500 http://uy.archive.ubuntu.com breezy/universe Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It is in universe, so check that you have this repo
enabled.

Disclaimer: I have it installed but have not used it yet :-/

> Dotan Cohen
> http://IE-Only.com

Good luck.
Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue...