permission problem on usb camera

Hamster hamster at invisiblepixels.org
Sat Apr 15 22:53:41 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have a Canon PowerShot G1 camera that I have been successfully using
with linux for the last 5 years.

Today I upgraded some packages (mostly KDE 3.5.2) and since the upgrade
I can only access my camera as the user root. I'm sorry I didn't take more notice as to exactly which packages were upgraded.

The error message I get when using gphoto2 is:

*** Error ***
An error occurred in the io-library ('Could not claim the USB device'):
Could not claim interface 0 (Operation not permitted). Make sure no
other program or kernel module (such as sdc2xx, stv680, spca50x) is
using the device and you have read/write access to the device. ***
Error (-53: 'Could not claim the USB device') ***

No other camera software (such as digikam) can access the camera either.

If I manually change the perms on /proc/bus/usb/???/??? (I use lsusb to find out where the device gets placed) then my normal user can access the camera without any hassles.

How do I troubleshoot this, where's the best place to begin to find out
why my normal user can't access the camera any more?

I poked around in the udev rules and found an entry for the camera. It mentions the group "plugdev" and I checked to make sure that my user is a member of this group, and it is. The /proc/bus/usb has ownership of root:root, so I'm not sure where the plugdev group is actually meant to be.

If someone can point in me the right direction so that my normal user can access the camera again I'd appreciate it very much!!

H.