Kubuntu annoyances (check list)

Bry Melvin brymelvin at msn.com
Tue Apr 11 03:55:47 UTC 2006

>From: garys at opusnet.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
>To: brymelvin at melvinart.com
>CC: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>Subject: Re: Kubuntu annoyances (check list)
>Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:09:38 -0700
>
>"Bry Melvin" <brymelvin at msn.com> writes:
>
> > Pushing for an available paid add on service like "click and run" from
>Linsire for Ubuntu would make a lot more
> > sense. When you pay for this service, you are paying for the rights to
>use the patented technologies. Thus ends the
> > question where you are legal or not.
>
>Yes.  And that scheme even works OK with copyleftic software, because
>the latter typically only restricts your freedom to _publish_
>derivatives, not to make and use them.

We will probably see this quite soon. S Nichols in a DestopLinux article
writes:

..."Ubuntu thus far has resisted joining the DCC, but Carmony has a card to
play in that Linspire and Ubuntu are already talking about a collaboration.
Ubuntu is close to an agreement with Linspire to offer Linspire's CNR
(Click-N-Run) application download service to Ubuntu users. That
relationship could help get the most popular Linux distro into the DCC....

Bryann