Kubuntu annoyances (check list)

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue Apr 11 00:00:55 UTC 2006

"Freddie Cash" <fcash-ml at sd73.bc.ca> writes:

> That's why you use an intelligent terminal emulator that let's you
> highlight, right-click and select copy, then use either
> right-click/paste or CTRL+v to paste.  You know, kind of like how
> Konsole works.  :)
[snip]
> Highlighting something with a mouse in a GUI environment should do
> nothing more than highlight the selection.  What you do with it after

Konsole doesn't work that way here, and I haven't changed KDE stuff.
Highlighting (click & drag or multi-click) seems to put it in both
X's main selection buffer and the clipboard Klipper uses.  No need
for right click.  Then shift-insert or button 2 (or 1 & 3) pastes.
Ctrl-v seems to do nothing but ctrl-v.  Maybe kubunto has it
configured differently than ubuntu.

Let's just say it would good if such things could be easily
configured.  Developers will do as they please, of course, but IMO
when a default is a very debatable matter of opinion, it should follow
Linux and Unix traditions, not MSFT traditions.  I'm happy to see that
Konsole has managed to do a reasonable compromise, with the major
(default) omission being the reasonable omission of button-3 selection
extensions, which I suspect is little used in programs that support
it, like "xterm".

As much as I like "xterm", it looks like I'll mostly use Konsole for
the "tabbed" windows feature.  Oops; I take that back -- I'll mostly
use Xemacs shell buffers, using Konsole and xterm for the interactive
programs that "shell mode" can't handle.  (It continues to amaze me
that it still can't even the simple "more" program.)