dapper-install-i386.iso doesn't boot

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Mon Apr 10 16:10:00 UTC 2006

clay <claydoh at claydoh.com> writes:

> Definitely not, I used k3b to burn all disks. No write errors, md5sums
> verified.

That reminds me.  I burned one CD with k3b with the verify option on,
getting "success" for both operations.  Then I couldn't get that CD to
verify using my manual methods with "readcd" or "dd", getting an I/O
error after reading almost all of the CD. (Yes, I used dd's "count".)

It's frustrating to not be able to trust these basic operations.  I've
not caught my CD drive failing to read a known-good CD so I'm blaming
software, probably the kernel.