Kubuntu annoyances (check list)

guido dom guido.dom at gmail.com
Mon Apr 10 09:04:46 UTC 2006

If I follow the advice from ubuntu wiki restricted formats, playing p3, ogg
vorbis files and video from dvd is no problem at all.
Yes, it demands some effort from the user

After all, (K)Ubuntu are free (not as beer) and you learn something during
that proces; so I do T complain.
But "Who am I?"

2006/4/10, John Campbell <jdc.rpv at cox.net>:

> James Gray wrote:
> > On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 12:53 am, Gavin Dudley wrote:
> >> Buggy multimedia playback is by far the most irritating factor,
> followed by
> >> unpredictable cut and paste between apps.
> >
> > Media playback isn't helped by the fact most of the CODEC's required are
> > proprietary (closed source) and have restricted redistribution.  The
> > K/X/Ubuntu project must err on the side of "legal" in order not to be
> sued
> > for copyright violations.  SuSE/RedHat and others distribute CODEC's
> under
> > license from the original authors (M$, Real etc).  Ubuntu doesn't charge
> for
>
> So SuSE does mp3 again?  What's it been, 5 years?  Last I heard they had
> eviscerated their system to remove even the option of running mp3s with
> non-supplied external modules.  You had to re-compile major portions of
> the desktop to get mp3 to work.
>
> Are you sure you didn't mean Mandriva/Fedora rather than SuSE/RedHat?  I
> know that Mandriva's multimedia support is pretty decent and I seem to
> remember being able to actually get faad and mp3 working under Fedora,
> which I never managed under SuSE.

Tel:+32 (0)58 239804  +32 (0)497 538736

Nog een mooie dag toegewenst.

Guido (Dom)