Linux appreciation

Gavin Dudley gavin at mavenmedia.co.za
Fri Apr 7 09:14:24 UTC 2006

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 10
> Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2006 14:12:35 -0700
> From: Vayu <vayu at sklinks.com>
> Subject: Re: kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 15, Issue 15
> To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com, gaving at mavenmedia.co.za
>
> On Thursday 06 April 2006 12:58, Gavin Dudley wrote:
> > > ------------------------------
> > >
> > > Message: 11
> > > Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:01:32 -0300
> > > From: Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> > > Subject: Re: Kubuntu annoyances (check list)
> > > To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com

> > > Yawn...

> > > What bothers me "immensely" is users who - having established that they
> have
> > > problems, assume that therefore the OS is completely unusable by the
> > > majority of users.
> >
> > Yawn, denial... yawn... market rejection... *thunderous sound of general
> > public voting with their feet and buying windoze*
> >
> > <guess I'll shut up about it now cause this whole debate is a bit *yawn*,
> right?>
> >
> <clip>

> When I read your long list of grievances I feel you are expecting a lot and
> unaware of the dynamics of the organic process that is OSS.  I feel you don't
> understand that OSS is a community effort.  NO ONE IS IN CHARGE.  If you
> don't like something, change it.  If you can't then calmly suggest it to
> someone who can. Be patient and you'd be surprised, someone may give it to
> you.  What right do you have to expect and demand?

Phew, you are so right. Awright, so I feel like a complete hypocrite for
making unreasonable demands both of the IP donor community and of this
list. Apologies to all. Ironically, one of my pet hates is the word
"entitlement", which is what I think have been guilty of of, esp since I
am contributing nothing to OSS IP. Point taken. Thanks.

Best I try and stay on topic from here on out!  <grin>

blodot