kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 15, Issue 15

Vayu vayu at sklinks.com
Thu Apr 6 21:12:35 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 April 2006 12:58, Gavin Dudley wrote:
> > ------------------------------
> >
> > Message: 11
> > Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:01:32 -0300
> > From: Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca>
> > Subject: Re: Kubuntu annoyances (check list)
> > To: kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com
> >
> > Gavin Dudley wrote:
> >
> > > Apol for late response. I must echo all these sentiments. Big Up,
> > > Albert! As a newbie I don't know what is supposed to work, what is
> > > broken and what is user error, so Albert's orginal check list of
> > > problems proved invaluable to me because I was trying to resolve so many
> > > of these same issues. Buggy multimedia playback is by far the most
> > > irritating factor, followed by unpredictable cut and paste between apps.
> >
> > Yawn...
> > >
> > > It bothers me immensely that Linux evangelists are either in denial
> > > about the massive deficiencies in Linux, or otherwise are not
> > > traditional desktop PC users.
> >
> > What bothers me "immensely" is users who - having established that they
have
> > problems, assume that therefore the OS is completely unusable by the
> > majority of users.
>
> Yawn, denial... yawn... market rejection... *thunderous sound of general
> public voting with their feet and buying windoze*
>
> <guess I'll shut up about it now cause this whole debate is a bit *yawn*,
right?>

> <clip>

I find several shortcomings in any OS that I use.  (I use WinXP, FreeBSD and
Kubuntu daily)

Like you, I find that the Windows Desktop is more polished in several areas
that the three Open Source desktop environments I know (KDE, Gnome and XFCE)
are not.

There are other areas where the reverse is true, yet like you, I feel Windows
has some areas that I would really like to see Open Source DE's catch up on.

Overall however, I find the Open Source desktops are quite usable and
sophisticated.

I also find the kernel and userland of Linux and FreeBSD blow away Windows,
hands down.

I also find that the whole Open Source phenomena is entirely amazing.  I also
realize the immense time and energy that is voluntarily donated for the
products I use.

When I read your long list of grievances I feel you are expecting a lot and
unaware of the dynamics of the organic process that is OSS.  I feel you don't
understand that OSS is a community effort.  NO ONE IS IN CHARGE.  If you
don't like something, change it.  If you can't then calmly suggest it to
someone who can. Be patient and you'd be surprised, someone may give it to
you.  What right do you have to expect and demand?