kubuntu-users Digest, Vol 15, Issue 12

Gavin Dudley gavin at mavenmedia.co.za
Thu Apr 6 14:52:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-05 at 20:38 +0100,
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:21:36 +0800
> From: Gabriel Dragffy <dragffy at yandex.ru>
> Subject: Re:   check list of annoyances
> To: albert at pensament.net, Kubuntu Help and User Discussions
> 	<kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Nice list of non-features, I've been using kubuntu for about 3 months now and
> didn't realize how many of my problems were bugs other people have.
> Particularly annoying to me is Konserve crashing, firefox, konqueror probs
> with printing, adept crashing and most annoying is the supreme difficulting
> in laying video, <clip>

Apol for late response. I must echo all these sentiments. Big Up,
Albert! As a newbie I don't know what is supposed to work, what is
broken and what is user error, so Albert's orginal check list of
problems proved invaluable to me because I was trying to resolve so many
of these same issues. Buggy multimedia playback is by far the most
irritating factor, followed by unpredictable cut and paste between apps.

It bothers me immensely that Linux evangelists are either in denial
about the massive deficiencies in Linux, or otherwise are not
traditional desktop PC users.

I have encountered so many problems with (K)ubuntu (considered to be
amongst the best distros) that I may be obliged to go back to Windows of
proprietary Linux (Linspire) after 5 months of ceaseless debugging.

I may not be a hacker, but I am a geek and a technologist, so if I can't
get it working then Linux may not be ready for prime time as is often
promoted.

<Oooops, largely irrelevant posting to the support list>

blodot

> On Wednesday 05 April 2006 10:24, Albert wrote:
> > This mail is intended for k/ubuntu GNU/Linux developers.
> >
> > I have been using kubuntu 5.4 and then 5.10 in a production environment
> > since July 2005. Congratulations, the system holds very well compared to
> > every other GNU/Linux distribution I've tried. Although most of what I'm
> > listing below belongs to bug reports already, I would like to bag it all in
> > a check list form in which, I hope, every element can be slashed in Dapper,
> > if anyone has information on any of the issues listed.

<clip>