The wifi crusade.

tchize tchize at myrealbox.com
Sat Apr 1 16:27:53 UTC 2006

Fathi BOUDRA a écrit :

> Le Samedi 1 Avril 2006 15:00, tchize a écrit :
>
>> Hello,
>

> hi
>
>> Kubuntu installation: Drivers is recognized immediatly by kernel
>> (rt2500 card) and loaded (great!). I go to kde network config
>> panel and .. Outh, forgot that panel is not working in breezy
>> badger, so i go to the net, find some tutorial and go by hand in
>> /etc/network/interface.
>>
>> I add this:
>>
>> iface ra0 inet dhcp pre-up iwconfig ra0 essid Ayato pre-up
>> iwconfig ra0 mode Managed pre-up iwpriv ra0 set Channel=8 pre-up
>> iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK pre-up iwpriv ra0 set
>> EncrypType=TKIP pre-up iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="<my key>" pre-up
>> iwpriv ra0 set TxRate=0
>>
>> Parameters AuthMode, WPAPSK, TKIP and the key is exactly the same
>> i used under window
>>

> You didn't searched at the right place :) i find on the wiki :
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/WifiDocs/RalinkRT2500

This contain about same information as i used, except a txrate and a
channel forcing. And it's not working :)

> my fast analyze : * "set" commands seems deprecated

Not true, dunno who wrote that note. My man in iwpriv does not state
this, and the suggested replacement command sure do not work

> * the only time you need to use iwpriv is to set the 3 parameters
> required for WPA (AuthMode, EncrypType, WPAPSK) * before set
> anything in interface, try commands manually
>
> your config must be something like :
>
> iwconfig ra0 essid "Ayato" iwconfig ra0 mode Managed
>
> then re-write this part with new iwpriv syntax or at least valid it
> manually:
>
> iwpriv ra0 set AuthMode=WPAPSK iwpriv ra0 set EncrypType=TKIP
> iwpriv ra0 set WPAPSK="<my key>"

Those command did work manually. Well if you except i can't get
connection.  If a pre-up command is failing i get message from ifup
ra0, that was not the case.