Kubuntu in a corp. environment (was: /etc/resolv.conf file issues)

James Gray james at grayonline.id.au
Wed Sep 28 00:32:56 UTC 2005

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:34, Steven Lewis wrote:
> All - the original post was a result of using my linux box in a corp.
> environment. up to the point my linux usage was as a freelance work or
> personal use. however i have started working in a very successful corp
> shop that relies heavily on linux.
>
> My new question is how many folks are using linux in a mix Linux/Windows
> corp. environment?

My lappy runs Kubuntu (Hoary) in a Windows Active Directory environment.  I
didn't bother with all the Samba+winbind fru-fru and simply created my
Kubuntu account to match the userid and password I have on the Windows
network.  Works well.

I access our Exchange2000 server with Kmail over POP3.  I was using IMAP but
found it was a bit slow and, for still unknown reasons, would occasionally
purge entire folders causing the loss of mucho e-mail.  POP3 just works.  I
keep a backup of my ~/Mail directory on one of our network shares.

The calendaring etc on Exchange I don't use (never have).  I keep all my
appointments in Korganiser and life is good.  I did manage to get
Korganiser to sync-up with the Exchange calendar, but it was slow and
tended to crash Kontact occasionally.

The rest of my system just works.  DHCP over Wifi works, Konqueror handles
NTLM authentication for me, I can browse network shares with
"smb://server/share" in Konqueror etc.  Terminal services are handled with
"krdc" and that also covers the VNC systems we have for remote-managing
PC's etc.

The bonus for me is that I never have to reboot.  My Windows-encumbered
colleagues are forever swearing and cursing at their WinXP boxes (so it
seems) but mine just keeps on going.  I had two other guys in our IT Dept
ask if I can set them up with dual-boot so they could give Kubuntu a go :)

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Cheers,

James
--
Perfection is achieved only on the point of collapse.
- C. N. Parkinson