Gamin question

Jonathan Byrne jbyrne at frontbridge.com
Fri Oct 28 22:21:37 UTC 2005

For about 3 days now, a process named gam_server has been consuming over
95% CPU.  The system remains fairly responsive despite this, but I
don't know exactly what gam_server is supposed to do and why it needs
so much CPU to do it.  It appears to be undocumented, and googling
didn't yield much in the way of its job except that it's "a file and
directory alteration monitor."  Is this for intrusion detection
purposes, or something else?  Do I really need it, and what will happen
if remove it?

TIA,

Jonathan