kmail questions

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Fri Oct 28 12:48:41 UTC 2005

federico wrote:

>Hi, Art,
>
>On Thursday 27 October 2005 18:03, Art Alexion wrote:
>Art Alexion escribió:
>

>>I have all of the same settings.  I confirmed that I have configured the
>>server correctly by doing the same as I did with Thunderbird.
>>

>What is the procedure you follow to check it?

I open the SMTP settings for the account in Thunderbird (because those
settings are working in Thunderbird).  I make sure I use the same
settings in kmail.  Only difference is

    t-bird security = use TLS, if available
    kmail = none

ISP tell me that there is no SSL or TLS support so t-bird drops back to
"none" anyway.  Nonetheless I tried kmail with the TLS marked and this
made no difference.  FWIW, the "Check what server supports" command
returns "none" for encryption, and "plain" for authentication method.
T-bird does not provide setting of authentication method.

One observation here.  ISP tells me that its POP and SMTP
authentications are the same, but POP works in kmail.  Kmail POP
authentication method is "Clear Text", but "Clear Text" is not a choice
in the SMTP configuration.  Instead "Plain" is chosen.

>>Nonetheless, sent messages go to the outbox, and the "send queued
>>messages" command does not seem to do anything; not even disk or network
>>activity or an error.
>>

>What is you smtp config?.

See above.

>I use my own postifx to send mail cause some of my
>providers need/want me to do a pop login to allow me
>to relay mail. As I get all my mail with fetchmail to have
>it downloaded periodically with or without kmail running
>I wouldn't be able to send mail otherwise.

How do you do this without going through your ISP?  Or do you have
postfix configured for authentication?

>Apart from that, I think my setup is fairly straightforward.
>

>>Is there a log file or source of debug information so that I can see
>>what is happening?
>>

>No clue here , sorry.
>
>If something comes to my mind  or my browser ;-)
>I will let you know.

Thanks for trying to help!

Art Alexion
Arthur S. Alexion LLC

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c