kmail questions

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Oct 26 20:47:33 UTC 2005

Art Alexion wrote:

> I am thinking of switching from Thunderbird to kmail/kontact.

Smart man :-)

>    2. While it is nice that I can set up different identities connected
>       to different POP accounts, I can't find any way or documentation
>       on how to switch identities "on the fly", that is, on an ad hoc
>       per message basis.

While editing a message, click on the View menu and check Identity.  Then
you have a drop down list of identities to choose from.

>    3. One of the features I like about Thunderbird is the ability to
>       compose messages in html and them send them in plain text.
>       Thunderbird preserves some paragraph formatting such as lists and
>       indents, which is nice.  This doesn't seem supported in kmail.  Is
>       there a way to do this?

Kmail's HTML support sucks.  Fortunately I only send one HTML mail a year...

>    4. During the transition, I would like to share mail folders between
>       kmail and Thunderbird so that all mail is collected in the same
>       place.  That is, I am not talking about importing the mail at this
>       time, but rather having both MUAs accessing the same folders.  Is
>       this possible?  Is there a good how-to?

If thunderbird uses maildirs, easy.  Add an account, of type Maildir, and
point it to the right directory.  You can NOT have two processes access an
mbox.  Just Don't Do It :)  Alternatively, run an imap server, and point
both mail programs at it (or practically any other mail program).

>    5. I sent this message from Thunderbird because all of my kmail
>       messages seem to be stuck in the outbox and send queued doesn't
>       seem to do anything.  No error.  No activity. Nothing.

Sorry, can't help.  It always pops up a message when it can't mail something
I send.
--
derek