Ripping CD's to MP3's

Jay Ouzts ouzt1013 at bellsouth.net
Wed Oct 26 00:30:42 UTC 2005

I have just started down this road myself.  I am using Amarok and so far
I love it.  I am no expert, but this what I have learned so far.

The first thing you should do is go to www.tuxmagazine.org and find the
June 2005 back issue.  It's free.  Page 22 is an article showing you how
to mount your ipod (assuming it isnt automounted already).

In fact, I recommend Tux for anyone who is new to Linux.  It has been
immensely helpful to me.

Of course, amarok is only as good as the plugins you have installed.
Lame is essential as that converts WAV to mp3 files.  You do not want to
store WAV files on your ipod because they take up 10 times as much space
as mp3 and m4a.   Also, I dont think I-pod will play ogg files (I could
be wrong on this).

To get the plugins, try this link:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com//RestrictedFormats

That should get you started.