Daft newbie can not get past login page

zoe blackmore zoeblackmore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 19:09:28 UTC 2005

login into console ok... though I am not very confident there.

my root partition was indeed 100% full which was one of the ways I may
have broke my system. My  linux experienced friend corrected it by
carefully moving and relinking my var files, but despite that repair
the was a deeper problem in that I had loads of mime file errors
...the cause of which we have no idea... I cant remember anything I
did the night before to cause the system to go bad the next day. The
system worked perfectly after my distribution upgrade so I have the
feeling it must be something I did...maybe something from the
multiverse I should not have downloaded???

I must admit that my friend says I am exceedingly good at breaking
systems...I've broken XP twice this year, 2000 once, and previously he
has tried to put various linuxs and I even managed to break my much
loved beos, hey at work when I go into the office they sprawl
themselves over their computers in a protective guardianship way while
telling me to keep clear ;)

zoe