wifi

Brad De Vries devriesbj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 19 20:16:14 UTC 2005

On 10/18/05, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Pupeno wrote:
>
> > Does wifi work at all on ubuntu/kubutu ? I've tried many different
>
> Perfectly.
>
> > configurations without any success (it was working all-right on Gentoo).
> > When I run /etc/init.d/network restart it just hangs for a long long time
> > untill it say ok, but ath0 never gets an ip.
>
> And is it, in fact, ath0?  My wireless is on eth1, others are on wlan0.

Mine is ath0 also.  I think it has to do with the driver that's used.
Mine uses the madwifi driver.

> > Currently, my interfaces look like this:
> > iface ath0 inet dhcp
> >         wireless-essid Default
> >
> > Using ubuntu, I managed to get non-wap
>
> wap? You probably meant either WPA or WEP.
>
> > wifi working in an eye-blink with
> > its graphical tool, I trugled a lot to get it to work with wep and I never
> > got it stable. With kubuntu the graphical interface is totally useless and
>
> Yes...

I only ever use the command line.

> > I can't even get it to connect by hand.
> >
> > My access point is currently configured like this:
> > (o) Enabled ( ) Disabled
> > SSID: Default
> > Channel: 6 [x] Auto select
> > Mode Setting: ( ) G Mode  (o) Mix Mode
> > SSID Broadcast: (o) Enabled  ( ) Disabled
> > Security: (o) None ( ) WEP ( ) WPA-PSK ( ) WPA
> >
> > Any ideas are welcome, I intend to enable WEP latter.
>
> Why bother?  It takes 15 minutes to break WEP.  You've got WPA, use it
> (after you get it working without security).
>
> Check syslog for anything from dhclient - what does it say?

When I was running 5.04, it worked great with both no security and
with WEP but I couldn't get a stable connection with WPA until I setup
a continuous ping to the access point (AP) /router.

Now that I've "upgraded" to 5.10, I haven't been able to get it
working completly yet.  I have been able to get the wireless card to
connect to the AP but I never get an IP with dhclient.  It doesn't
matter if I use no security, WEP or WPA.

For those of you who don't know anything about the wireless connection
on Linux, if you have no security or WEP enabled, then you only need
to use the iwconfig command.  If you have WPA enabled, then you need
to have something to handle that like wpa_supplicant.

Pupeno, if you get your wireless connection working, send a quick
message on how you did it.

Brad.