Forums (was Re: Scary upgrade thing

Art Alexion art.alexion at verizon.net
Mon Oct 17 13:06:02 UTC 2005

Simon Rönnqvist wrote:

> Anyways, due to the richer feature set and flexibility KDE might just
> be the winner... even though it could lend some of the smoothness from
> Gnome.

Things change with time.  I always preferred kde to gnome, but found KDE
to be more resource hungry.  In the past (on Red Hat), I used KDE when I
needed it, and Fluxbox when I didn't.  Gnome was always a compromise
that filled no needs.  It didn't do much more than Fluxbox, while
devouring far greater resources.   It was slower than Fluxbox and weaker
than KDE.  When I switched to Ubuntu, I figured I'd stick with gnome for
speed.  This was a faster machine and Fluxbox wasn't necessary.  But
then I tried KDE and found that the speed difference of Gnome vs. KDE
wasn't significant, and KDE met far more of my needs.  This all seems to
prove that Linux environments improve efficiency as well as features
over time as contrasted with windows which seems to improve features at
the expense of efficiency (just throw more hardware at it).

But as for stability, I never noticed much of a difference between KDE
vs. Gnome.  Beyond the features an individual might need that one
environment does better, it is just a matter of vanilla vs. chocolate.
If you want to see a big difference in terms of non windows interface
and speed, drop Gnome and KDE and try Fluxbox.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need
for alarm.
Info @

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c