Upgrade question

Merv Curley mcurley at eol.ca
Sun Oct 16 03:42:37 UTC 2005

On Thursday 13 October 2005 14:46, Frank Arnold wrote:
> Question on upgrading with a CD:
> Does the CD format the drive so that you lose all your data or
> do you get an "upgrade" option like other distributions?
> Frank Arnold

Well my experiences show most distros suggest a new install for a new
release.  Many config things etc are liable to change.  For example
SuSE did not suggest upgrading from 9.3 to 10.0.  And when I did the
Fedora Core1 to 2, we did new installs.  Why not just add  Breezy  to
your sources.lst file and see how it goes?  Save all your valuable
data tho.

eg, I found that Kweather didn't work in Hoary and the upgrade of KDE
didn't fix the problem. However in the Breezy release candidate the
applet did work.  I have no idea what the Gods did which I couldn't
figure out.

I find it is usually best to install new and copy most of my $HOME
directory across and 90% of the applicable /etc files. Then I always
have a working fallback. Depending on the entries in your Grub menu
you might want to save it and just add Breezy manually.  I am still
using the SuSE 10 Grub menu for example and I have added 4 distros to
it.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont.Can