OpenOffice Substitutes

Merv Curley mcurley at eol.ca
Sat Oct 15 04:40:33 UTC 2005

On Monday 10 October 2005 22:47, Irena and Richard Jenkins wrote:
> Hello Everyone...
>
> I have 'breezy-badger' RC1 running quite happily on this iMac.  It
> is even better after I extended the repositories to include the
> universes, and ran 'install kde' ... to get some updates happening!
>
>  I have no complaints about the software that is provided ... but I
> wonder if adopting KOffice would be a better substitute for
> OpenOffice (as provided). My machine has plenty of RAM (256 Meg)
> but only a slow old G3 processor. OpenOffice bogs it down to a
> crawl!  I downloaded KOffice and for preparation/editing of
> documents I find it much more responsive.
>
> On another machine I have tried Abiword ... but I wonder what
> others think of the current version of KOffice??

I would say use the smallest, least featured writer that gets the job
done.  For a simple note,  Kate,  If you need simple WYSIWYG then
KOffice or whatever.  If you need the import filters of OpenOffice or
some other feature only it has, then use it, slow as it might be.

It is more convenient if all your files are standard format and when
Koffice can write Open Document like OpenOffice2, all will be dandy.

--
Merv Curley
Toronto, Ont.Can

Linux    Kubuntu 5.0.4