Locales and Errors

Andy Choens gunksta at gmail.com
Sun Oct 9 20:41:52 UTC 2005

Is there anyone else out there getting errors with OpenOffice not able
to find libpangohack.so.0.0?  It's in my my libs32, but OOo doesn't
seem to be able to find it for some reason.

As I stare at this more, I think maybe locales aren't my problem as
much as I thought.  I'm getting locale errors when I run this under
XFCE too, but it loads with the GTK theme, so maybe this
pangohack....which error is the one I need to figure out.  It's there
and seems to have the same permissons the other libs have, but OOo
can't see it.

andy at Exile:~$ oowriter2
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "en_US.UTF-8"
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "en_US"
I18N: X Window System doesn't support locale "C"
Qt: Locales not supported on X server
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libpangohack.so.0.0' from LD_PRELOAD
cannot be preloaded: ignored.

I also seem to have this at the beginning of my xsession-errors....

Xsession: X session started for andy at Sun Oct  9 16:10:20 EDT 2005
xset:  bad font path element (#69), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax
startkde: Starting up...

I've googled the hell out of this and I haven't gotten anywhere.  I am
not sure what is supposed to be in fonts.dir, but I have one in every
folder in /usr/share/X11/fonts. I seem to have 10 of them counting the
one cinelerra contributes.

How do I set the locale for the 32-bit libraries on 64 bit machine?
I'm wondering if dpkg-reconfigure locale is not fixing the problem,
because the 32bit libs aren't responsive to what 64bit dpkg.

Just a thought.

I will entertain ALL suggestions.

I have decided that I'm going to figure this out.  It's just going to
take a while I'm afraid.
--andy