Servers down? <SOLVED>(Correction)

Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 28 04:07:26 UTC 2005

Brant Fitzsimmons wrote:

>>>Well, duh.  Sometimes it pays for the left-hand to know what the right
>>>one is doing...
>>>
>>>I use IPCop as my router/firewall.  It is very good.  Anyway, I recently
>>>installed DansGuardian, and made my proxy into a transparent proxy.  Any
>>>attempt to try to bypass the proxy gets a refused requester.  I wasn't
>>>putting that event together with these error messages.
>>>
>>>So, I put the appropriate entries into /etc/apt/apt.conf to tell apt-get
>>>where the proxy port is, and all is well again.
>>>
>>>Thank you very much, L. Boggio, for pointing me in the right direction.
>>>--
>>>Mitch Thompson, San Antonio, Texas//WB5UZG
>>>Red Hat Certified Engineer
>>>

>>Isn't the point of a transparent proxy that it requires *no* client side
>>configuration?  Isn't the firewall supposed to forward http ports to the
>>correct IP address and port of the proxy?
>>

> The above should read "http requests" not "http ports".

True.  And I had /thought/ I had set transparent proxy on, but hadn't.
It is on now.

However, the firewall still wasn't letting anything get through on the
normal port 80.

--
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never did
succeed in making those idiots understand their own language." -- Mark Twain