Kubuntu upgrade install

Mitch Thompson mitchthompson at satx.rr.com
Mon Nov 14 03:48:03 UTC 2005

Frank Arnold wrote:

> OK. I just downloaded and burnt to a CD the latest Kubuntu Live CD.
> Like the look and feel of it. My question is: If I get the install
> CD and run it will it overwrite all my work related files in my
> home directory or will it do an upgrade and leave those files
> untouched? I'd hate to have to recreate them. Please advise. I can
> back up the entire directory if necessary. So any suggestions for a
> good backup procedure? How about sources.list? Frank Arnold

Speaking as someone who converted from SuSE 9.3 to Kubunto 5.10, I can
say that, for me, the "upgrade" went off pretty well.  My /home is on
its own partition, so I just had the installer leave that alone when
the Kubuntu install was going.  Once I was up and running, I just went
in and created a mount point for /home in /etc/fstab, made sure the
ownership of the directories was right, and was done.

--
"In Paris they simply stared when I spoke to them in French; I never
did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language." --