Kaffeine

Ian Rose ian at themagictree.co.uk
Sun May 15 13:31:28 UTC 2005

Jason Straight wrote:

>On Thursday 12 May 2005 03:42, Donatas G. wrote:
>

>>2005 m. Gegužės 12 d., Ketvirtadienis 09:12, Ian Rose rašė:
>>

>>>This will install the replacement kaffeine package. However, you should
>>>make sure that YOU are happy trusting the provider of the package, and
>>>that it isn't going to damage your installation. I read the reports on
>>>the forum, and felt bold enough to take the chance, as the original
>>>kaffeine package would hang, using 100% CPU if I tried to quit it. This
>>>updated version seems to have fixed this problem for me.
>>>

>>I installed it as well, and it seems to work much better than the default
>>ubuntu package.
>>

>Yeah, so why can't this be included in updates for kubuntu?

My understanding (and I may be wrong), is that official updates are for
security fixes only, not bugfixes or (as in this case) version upgrades.
My assumption is that the idea is to keep each release version-fixed so
as to keep the release stable, and the development efforts tightly
focused on the next release date. I can understand that, although a bit
of flexibility for some of the bigger bugs would be nice too. I know I
would love to have Firefox 1.04, and not just the backported security
fixes into the official 1.02, as I can't install any extensions using
the official Ubuntu Firefox at the moment.