Dualboot install on Win2K and MacG3?

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Sat May 14 01:12:33 UTC 2005

On 14 May 2005, at 00:41, PattiMichelle wrote:

> Hi:  I want to try kubunto on a Win2000 box (600MHz pentium) and a Mac
> G3.  Is Kubuntu smart enough to resize the master partitions and
> co-install itself dual-boot?  I guess I could use Partition Tragic to
> resize the partition on the Win2000 machine THEN install, but I can't
> figure out how to install it on the mac...
>  THANKS
>  PattiMichelle

For New World Macs running OS X, you have to wipe the disk, partition
(using the Mac OS X Disk Utility) and re-install OS X. A pain I know,
but HFS+ (the file system OS X uses) isn't resizeable as yet. (I think
there are some commercial OS X apps that can do this, but haven't tried
them myself.)
Don't know about macs running OS 9.
The vast majority of G3 Macs are 'New World' - the only ones that are
problematical are the beige G3s. It is possible to install kubuntu on
those: see
http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/InstallOnOldWorldMacs

HTH

John