webstreaming

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sun Mar 27 09:14:07 UTC 2005

On Sunday 27 March 2005 18:44, musicman wrote:
> Does anyone recommend a music player that copes with urls links?

Usually amarok, xmms, alsaplayer and a few others would work
for the kind of streams I am familiar with.

> for eg, here is a site that has an mp3 link for webstreaming that I
> had working under OS X and XP...but canna get it to "go" under kubuntu
> or ubuntu: http://www.edgeradio.org.au/listen.htm

That's a weird one indeed, for a start there is a space char at the
end of the URL on their page and with or without it does not return
what I would expect from a typical stream that I am used to. If the
URL does not return some mime.type then I'm not sure how you can
get anything to work with it on any playform...

# curl -I http://131.217.118.2:7990/EdgeRadio.mp3%20
curl: (52) Empty reply from server

# curl -I http://131.217.118.2:7990/EdgeRadio.mp3
curl: (52) Empty reply from server