Remastering kubuntu liveCD

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Tue Mar 22 10:29:44 UTC 2005

I hope it's okay to ask something like this here.. perhaps it's not
kubuntu specific so I apologize for that. I've been applying these
instructions to .../kubuntu/daily-live/20050320/hoary-live-i386.iso

https://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/LiveCDCustomizationHowTo

so I can basically add a small app to log into the main Australian
cable network. However, when I use create_compressed_fs to
recreate casper/filesystem.cloop the resulting file is a 750 Mb
compared to the original of ~550Mb when the added deb package
is only about 100k. I have since "cleaned out" the mounted iso to
the point where a du -s is now less than 1Gb but, as noted, the
filesystem.cloop is still 750 Mb in size, and the end resulting iso
is about 880Mb which obviously won't fit on a CD.

Surely I must be missing a step along the way or there is an
obvious explanation for this ?

--markc