startup errors horay/amd64

David Foster dbfoster at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:30:55 UTC 2005

Hello,
  I have been running Horay/amd64 for a while(since array4) now with
regular updates and I decided to try kbuntu-desktop. Well all
installed fine but when I log in to a kde session(I did choose to stay
with gdm over kdm) it looks beautiful but I get errors and there are
not menu entrys.
------------ typed from notes ---------
Could not start process
unable to create io-slave
klauncher said: unknown protocall 'file'
---------------- end ------
then I get one for 'system' and 'trash'
and another like this
------------------------ typed from notes ---------
Could not find mime type application/octlet-streem
no mime types installed
------------------------ end ------------
I tried googling around and came up with this that may help, if i run
kdeinit from the command line this is the output........
------------------------ cut -------------------------david at bigfoot:~$ kdeinit
kbuildsycoca running...
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 75, expecting version 79 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 75, expecting version 79 or higher.
kbuildsycoca: ERROR creating database '/var/tmp/kdecache-david/ksycoca'!
kbuildsycoca: Wrong permissions on directory? Disk full?
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 75, expecting version 79 or higher.
david at bigfoot:~$ kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Found version 75, expecting
version 79 or higher.
kio (KSycoca): WARNING: Outdated database found
kio (KMimeType): WARNING: KServiceType::offers : servicetype
KDEDModule not found
also I have a k7/ubuntu/horay box that I run mythtv on that uses
kde-base and works great :)
also noticed that I get the same type of errors now if I run k3b from
the gnome desktop, and it used to work(befor the kubuntu-desktop
upgrade)..
any help would be appreciated
  Dave